"One touch" copy editing

"One touch" copy editing

Postby jimfranklin » 3:49 pm 01/18/2011

There was a presentation at ACES 2209 in Minneapolis on reorganization of copy desks. I know we have all lived through some version of reorgaziation at just about every paper since then (we're done it at least twice amd may do so again in the near future).

One idea abroad is the "one touch" system that presumes that copy has been edited extensively before it reaches the copy desk and that copy editors should accomplish what they need to do by assignment to a single copy editor.

I'm interested in current use of such systems. Has your paper acopted a "one touch" system? How has it worked for you, in terms of quality control? Have you revised or adapted the idea after some experience and, if so, how? Have you tried and rejected such a system or tried it and declared victory?

As you might guess, the notion is under discussion in my shop, and I would be grateful for information on experience elsewhere to inform that discussion.

Thanks for any input.
-- Jim Franklin

James L. Franklin
Assistant Night Editor/Metro Slot, Night Desk
Boston Globe, Boston, MA 02205-5819
Email: jimfranklin@att.net (preferred), franklin@globe.com
Tel: 617-929-2991, cell 774-281-3065
Fax: 508-256-5661 (personal)
jimfranklin
Rimmer

Return to Substance editing, ethics and other matters