Work for free, but how much?

Work for free, but how much?

Postby DBS Designs » 7:40 pm 05/15/2011

I'm sure many folks on here have volunteered their time or interned in order to gain more experience. I recently got the opportunity to edit some stories for an online magazine, and I'm very excited about it! But, the editor also just asked me if I would be interested in looking over a book he wrote. It's a 75,000-word novel that has been edited by a few other people already.

Having never copy edited a book, I thought this might be a good experience, but my husband thinks this seems more like someone taking advantage of me. Any thoughts from other ACES members? Where do you draw the line between working for free and being taken advantage of? Or perhaps, in the beginning, that line gets pushed in the name of paying dues?
DBS Designs

Re: Work for free, but how much?

Postby herbswett » 7:26 am 05/16/2011

I've never edited a book either, but this doesn't look to me like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Why not check out the going rates and say you'll be willing to edit it at the bottom of the scale?
herbswett

Re: Work for free, but how much?

Postby DBS Designs » 5:55 pm 05/17/2011

Thanks for the suggestion, Herb! Do you, or does anyone out there, know the going rate for proofreading a book? I've been trying to find an answer online but most job postings don't post salary information!
DBS Designs

Return to Small papers and freelancers