Research shows that editing matters

Among the highlights of the recent ACES conference in Phoenix was a presentation by Fred Vultee, who teaches editing at Wayne State University. His study, sponsored by ACES, found that readers online can see the benefits of editing.

Vultee found that readers can see errors in grammar and spelling. They can detect inconsistencies and structural problems, and they find them bothersome. They can tell what’s been edited and what hasn’t. In other words, editing makes a difference. Read more about Vultee’s findings in this recap from the conference.

We on the ACES board hope that our members can use this study to show their managers why editing matters. We think that this study (as well as this research by James Mathewson of IBM) shows the value of what we do. Please spread the word.

As ACES director of research, I invite you to tell us what sorts of studies you’d like to see. What can help you do your job better? What do you want to know about headlines, captions or story editing? Contact me and other board members on how we can best serve you in this area.

No Responses to “Research shows that editing matters”

1. Debby Norman

I’m always eager to learn more about writing and editing for the web. I don’t contest your conclusions, but I think mastering website content poses more challenges than most people think.